By L. Richardson Jr.
The 1st such dictionary when you consider that that of Platner and Ashby in 1929, a brand new Topographical Dictionary of old Rome defines and describes the recognized constructions and monuments, in addition to the geographical and topographical positive aspects, of old Rome. It presents a concise heritage of every, with measurements, dates, and citations of important old and sleek resources.
Read or Download A New Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome PDF
Best ancient books
Обучение на АнглийскомThis basic Latin path for 7-10 12 months olds combines a uncomplicated advent to the Latin language with fabric at the heritage and tradition of Roman Britain. hugely illustrated, the e-book features a mix of tales and myths, grammar causes and workouts, and history cultural details.
The relatives among old Russia and Scandinavia, first released in 1877, through the Danish philologist, Vilhelm Thomsen (1842-1927), includes Thomsen's 3 lectures at the origins of the Russian country. The lectures got on the Taylor establishment, Oxford, in may perhaps 1876. the 1st lecture covers the ethnic historical past of historical Russia and its earliest political associations and the second one and 3rd lectures examine Russia's Scandinavian origins.
This choice of essays methods the function of demons and the satan in historic and medieval Christianity from numerous scholarly views: ancient, philosophical, and theological in addition to philological, liturgical, and theoretical. within the beginning article Gerd Theissen offers a wide-ranging evaluate of the function of the satan, spanning the Hebrew Bible, the hot testomony, and patristic literature.
- Politics and the Street in Democratic Athens
- Dictionary of quotations from ancient and modern, English and foreign sources : including phrases, mottoes, maxims, proverbs, definitions, aphorisms, and sayings of the wise men, in their bearing on life, literature, speculation, science, art, religion, a
- Scholars and Poets Talk about Queens
- Reviving Ancient Chinese Mathematics: Mathematics, history and politics the work of Wu Wen-Tsun
- Prehistoric Copper Mining in Europe: 5500-500 BC
Additional resources for A New Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome
B u llC om 92 (1987—88); 3 2 3 — 28 (R. Rea). d . 5 7 within the short space of a single year. 200). 24). Because it is not listed among the buildings lost in the fire of Titus (see Cass. ). Tacitus, Ann. 3 1 ; Suetonius, N ero 12; Aur. , Epit. 3. Amphitheatrum Statilii Tauri: the first stone am phitheater built in Rome, constructed at his own ex pense by T. C . for his suc cesses in Africa. The amphitheater was dedicated in 29 (Cass. 1 ; Suetonius, Aug. 5) and was destroyed in the fire of Nero in a .
3). The Aesculetum might be pre sumed to have lain between this street and the river, but why Hortensius should have convened the com itia centuriata there remains mysterious. CEFR 98 (1987): 6 2 -7 3 (S. Panciera). Ager, Campus, P rata: These three terms generally designate land beyond the Servian Walls. A ger is 4 the territory of the city, exclusive of the city itself. 7). A ger R om am is was distinguished from ag er peregrinus but embraced all the natural features, such as rivers, lakes, and moun tains.
6) in the southern Campus Martius. ) to oversee and re ward the fire fighters (Suetonius, C laud. 1). Dur ing the fire of Nero the fire, having been stopped on the sixth day at the foot of the Esquiline, broke out for a second time in the property of Tigillinus in the Aemiliana and burned in the level parts of the city with great loss of porticoes and temples (Tacitus, Ann. 40). ) from the Porta Fontinalis on the shoulder of the Capitoline to the Altar of Mars, the latter probably just north of the north transept of the church of the Gesu.