By Julia Valeva, Emil Nankov, Denver Graninger
A significant other to old Thrace offers a chain of essays that display the newly famous complexity of the social and cultural phenomena of the peoples inhabiting the Balkan outer edge of the Classical world.
• incorporates a wealthy and designated evaluation of Thracian historical past from the Early Iron Age to overdue Antiquity
• contains contributions from major students within the archaeology, artwork historical past, and basic heritage of Thrace
• Balances attention of fabric facts with regards to old Thrace with extra conventional literary sources
• Integrates a examine of Thrace inside of a extensive context that comes with the cultures of the japanese Mediterranean, southwest Asia, and southeast Europe/Eurasia
• displays the impression of recent theoretical techniques to economic climate, ethnicity, and cross-cultural interplay and hybridity in old Thrace
Read Online or Download A Companion to Ancient Thrace PDF
Best ancient books
Обучение на АнглийскомThis straight forward Latin path for 7-10 12 months olds combines a uncomplicated advent to the Latin language with fabric at the heritage and tradition of Roman Britain. hugely illustrated, the ebook encompasses a mix of tales and myths, grammar reasons and workouts, and heritage cultural info.
The family among historical Russia and Scandinavia, first released in 1877, by way of the Danish philologist, Vilhelm Thomsen (1842-1927), includes Thomsen's 3 lectures at the origins of the Russian kingdom. The lectures got on the Taylor establishment, Oxford, in may perhaps 1876. the 1st lecture covers the ethnic history of historic Russia and its earliest political associations and the second one and 3rd lectures examine Russia's Scandinavian origins.
This selection of essays ways the function of demons and the satan in historic and medieval Christianity from quite a few scholarly views: old, philosophical, and theological in addition to philological, liturgical, and theoretical. within the starting article Gerd Theissen offers a wide-ranging evaluation of the position of the satan, spanning the Hebrew Bible, the hot testomony, and patristic literature.
- The Julio-Claudian Succession: Reality and Perception of the "Augustan Model"
- Biogeochemistry of Ancient and Modern Environments: Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Environmental Biogeochemistry (ISEB) and, Conference on Biogeochemistry in Relation to the Mining Industry and Environmental Pollution (Leaching Confe
- Ancient folk-literature from North-Eastern Tibet: (Introductions, Texts, Translations and Notes)
- Alexander the Great (Makers of History)
Extra resources for A Companion to Ancient Thrace
Oxford: Clarendon Press. Contains excellent discussion of the geography of Odrysian Thrace, including geology, climate, soils, and minerals (10–24). King, Charles. 2005. The Black Sea. A History. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Solid introduction to the history of the Black Sea region, with ample detail on geography. Gyuzelev, Martin. 2008. The West Pontic Coast between Emine Cape and Byzantion during the First Millennium BC. Burgas: Lotus. Thorough discussion of geography and archaeology of the southwestern coast of the Black Sea.
Getica. O protoistorie a Daciei (Academia Română. Memoriile Secţiunii Istorice. Seria III, Tomul III, Mem. 2). Bucureşti: Cultura Naţională. Pârvan, Vasile. 1928. Dacia: An Outline of the Early Civilizations of the Carpatho‐Danubian Countries. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Škorpil, Hermengild, and Karel Škorpil. 1898. Mogili. Plovdiv: Pchela. Stronk, Jan P. 1995. The Ten Thousand in Thrace. iii–vi–VII (Amsterdam Classical Monographs 2). C. Gieben. Theodossiev, Nikola. 2005. ” In Stephanos Archaeologicos in honorem Professoris Ludmili Getov (Studia Archaeologica Universitatis Serdicensis.
He published a number of influential articles and books in Bulgarian and was the pioneer of Thracian studies in Bulgaria. In addition, his detailed studies on the cultural and political history of Thrace (including the Roman period), published in German and English in 1916 and 1930 (Kacarov 1916; 1930), were fundamental works for all Western scholars who were interested in the region. He published a monograph in German exploring the Thracian Horseman (Kacarov 1938), with a complete catalogue of the votive reliefs, which remains an important contribution.